Ohio Salvage Title

An auto involved in an accident in the state of Ohio becomes a salvage vehicle if the damage estimate is 100 percent of its value to completely repair or replace it. This will result in the issuance of a Ohio Salvage Certificate for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MD Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Ohio Salvage Title

In the state of Ohio, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your auto is in an accident. If your insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they are required to apply for a Salvage Title. If you as the owner retain possession, you will have to acquire an OH Salvage Title. Please note that you cannot drive your vehicle on any Ohio roadway until it is titled.

Apply for an Ohio Salvage Vehicle TitleŚRebuilt Title

To apply for a title on a salvaged car in Ohio, you will have to show up in person to an Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles location (BMV). Click here to find your nearest BMV branch. You will need to bring with you the original certificate of title and documentation of the automobile being a total loss from your insurance company. Once these steps are completed, you may submit the salvage title application along with the appropriate titling fees.

Ohio Salvage Rebuilt Vehicle Title

As a salvage car owner, to have a Salvage Title branded as a Rebuilt Salvage Title, a salvage inspection must first be performed. (See below.)

Ohio Salvage Safety Inspection

After repairing or restoring your salvaged vehicle and before obtaining a Rebuilt Title, get a Salvage Vehicle Inspection. Inspections can only be given from an inspection location authorized by the Ohio State Highway Patrol. To make an appointment, just visit your local BMV branch. There you can request an inspection form and pay the appropriate fee.

Bring the following documents when visiting the inspection site:

  • Completed inspection form
  • Ohio salvage title
  • Receipts for all replaced major parts

Once the vehicle passes inspection, you can then apply for an OH Salvage Vehicle Rebuilt Title. To learn more, access their Salvage Inspection Brochure.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Ohio

An abandoned vehicle title in Ohio can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, you'll have to first contact local Ohio law authorities, give them the location of the vehicle and fill out an abandoned vehicle form. If authorities investigate and the owner is not located, they will contact you.

At that point you may take your completed Abandoned Vehicle Form to your local BMV branch and apply for an OH Motor Vehicle Title. For more information, please go to http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm.